Along with the low finance rate, you also get more favorable terms.
- No private mortgage insurance premium requirement.
- No down payment as long as the sales price doesn’t exceed the appraised value.
- Limits to the amount you can be charged for closing costs, and may be paid by the seller.
Eligibility Requirements for VA Home Loans
You must have satisfactory credit, sufficient income, and a valid Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to be eligible for a VA-guaranteed home loan. The home must be for your own personal occupancy. The eligibility requirements to obtain a COE are listed below for Service members and Veterans, spouses, and other eligible beneficiaries.
|World War II - September 16, 1940 - July 25, 1947|
|Korean War - June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955|
Vietnam War - August 5, 1964 - May 7, 1975
Gulf War - August 2, 1990 - to be determined
|All - July 26, 1947 - June 26, 1950 and February 1, 1955 - August 4, 1964|
|Enlisted - May 8, 1975 - September 7, 1980|
Officers - May 8, 1975 - October 16, 1981
|Enlisted - After September 7, 1980|
Officers - After October 16, 1981
- Were discharged with an honorable discharge
- Were placed on the retired list
- Were transferred to the Standby Reserve or an element of the Ready Reserve other than the Selected Reserve after service characterized as honorable service
- Continue to serve in the Selected Reserve
- You are an un-remarried spouse of a Veteran who died while in service or from a service-connected disability
- You are a spouse of a Servicemember missing in action or a prisoner of war
- You are a surviving spouse in receipt of Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) benefits in cases where the Veteran's death was not service-connected
- Certain U.S. citizens who served in the armed forces of a government allied with the United States in World War II
- Individuals with service as members in certain organizations, such as Public Health Service officers, cadets at the United States Military, Air Force, or Coast Guard Academy, midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy, officers of National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, merchant seaman with World War II service, and others